Monday, May 3, 2010

Yabe – Where to start?

OK, so I haven’t been as diligent as I had hoped, but I’m starting to code now. If you check out the github repository, you can see the change log. 
I’ve been trying to work out where to start, and I guess the easiest thing is to start with what you know. At first I was trying to make all three editions of Yabe the same. The more I did this, though, the more I realized the folly of this method. ASP.Net MVC is not Ruby and Ruby is not ASP.Net MVC. I need to work on each with it’s own best practices and methodologies in mind.

In that mind, I’ve decided to work in the following flow. I am going to select one feature at a time to implement. I will then code the feature for ASP.Net MVC (using Visual Web Dev. 2010 and ASP.Net MVC 2) first. Once I’ve got a solid base I’ll move to Ruby (using Rails 2.3.5 on Ruby 1.8.6) and finally over to PHP (still up in the air here on dev environment versions).

I tried moving in the other direction (using the Rails Tutorial book as a base for my static pages story), but it was far more difficult. I had to think about how I wanted the site to work as well as learn how to do it at the same time.  I think it will be far easier to just figure out how I want the site to work, and write it in a language and library I already know. After I have the core of the feature implemented, I can move to the other languages and figure out how to implement the same feature.

Finally, I need to keep myself motivated, so I think I’m going to add a new goal. I want to try to write one blog post a week on my progress. Obviously to keep this goal, I’m going to need to have some new or interesting progress to report.  So let me know what you think.
Update
I haven't been able to keep with my original plan of blogging weekly, or even consistently working on Yabe. But, I do have a pretty good reason: I am going to be a Daddy again. That's right. My wife is pregnant with our third child. A lot of craziness has ensued, but I'm hoping things will have calmed down enough now for me to start keeping my original promise of weekly updates. We'll see, though.

No comments: