Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Did you ever get the feeling your doing it wrong?

I am well aware that I am not the best application developer in the world. I have a driving need to learn, but I’m not a professional programmer. As such, I have no mentors other than those I find online. I also have only limited time to devote to both learning and actually putting that learning in to practice.
Where am I going with this? I’ve come to the conclusion today that I am trying to do my testing all wrong. I am trying to use test first development with Cucumber style tests (using NBehave) for the ASP.Net MVC version of Yabe.  Trouble is, I’m trying to unit test in this manner. And that is just not working. So I’m going to scrub my existing tests (note: not the test specifications, just the actual tests). The plan is to convert my existing specification tests into integration level tests and start a whole new collection of unit tests using the simpler arrange/act/assert within a fixture style testing.
The new structure will hopefully allow me to reuse some of my existing code (just rearranging it somewhat).  The biggest thing is going to be having to find a framework that will allow me to actually spin up ASP.Net and test it. I am thinking of possibly using IIS Express or Cassini to spin up a web server, then use WatiN to actually run the tests.

No comments: